I think that eyeliners are a love-it-or-hate-it type of cosmetic. Some people skip it altogether and rely on mascara to define their eyes; some people (like me) rely on it to give their eyes shape and presence on the face. If you're the kind of person who doesn't typically wear eyeliner, you'd probably be pretty overwhelmed by all of the options. As a solid eyeliner-wearer, I love that there are so many options because every option creates a different look and allows for so much customization!
I've broken down my favorites to give you a peak at what I like and why... have I missed something you love? Tell me in the comments below!
1. Maybelline Eyestudio Gel Liner ($7.99) -- I love gel eyeliner because you get the intensity of a liquid liner in a much more forgiving application. This particular gel liner is super black, which is fantastic, and it stays on all day. Typically I would apply a gel liner with a small angled brush, but I will say that I love the brush that comes in this package!
2. NYX Collection Noir Satin Finish liner ($5.99) -- I used to use pencils all the time, and then I only ever used gel or liquid, but now I'm back on pencils because they're smudgeable. I love to put this liner right at the base of my lashes, then take a Sigma E30 pencil brush with a little eyeshadow on it (like my contour or outer corner color) and go over it to blend. I like this particular pencil because it blends easily, is inexpensive, and it doesn't get all over my eyes by the end of the day.
3. MAC shadow in Carbon ($15) -- I'll be truthful: I haven't actually used this particular eyeshadow as a liner; I just know that it's super-black, and I love super-black shadow as a liner. I used shadow as liner for years. Just take an angled or flat brush, get it wet, dip it in the shadow and line. It's dark definition without being as intense as a gel or liquid eyeliner. This is also good for going over your gel or liquid liner (with a dry brush, not a wet one) for extra staying power.
4. Jesse's Girl Liquid Eyeliner ($6.99) -- I got this in my Ipsy bag a month or two ago and I love it. It's a liquid eyeliner in the form of a pen/marker - something that's common and easy to find these days. I've also used the Tarte version, though I felt like it dried out a little quickly. With the pointed felt-tip, this application is foolproof and easy to make thin or thick. Even flicks are easy! Plus, you get the longevity and intensity of a liquid eyeliner without having to have the steady hands.
5. Tarte SmolderEYES Amazonian Clay Waterproof Liner ($22) -- This is the one non-black liner I'm including in this list, because I realize that not everybody wears black liner. I have this liner in Fig (shown) and Brown, and I love it for my more natural looks. There's a smudger on the opposite end from the liner, so I love to apply this as thinly as possible (sometimes difficult - it's a big pencil, so I have to keep it sharp), then use the smudger to make it a bigger but diffused line. Then, because I love my flicks, I apply the liner to an angled liner brush and a flick on the outer corner. I like to put a little shadow on top of this to keep it from smudging off during the day.
If you're an eyeliner-phobe, I highly recommend trying one or more of these liners. I'm all for easy-to-apply liners, so those are my favorites. As far as liner brushes, my favorites are the Sigma E15 flat definer, Sigma E65 small angle, and the Anastasia small angled cut brush #15 (a brow brush!).
Do you have a favorite liner, or have you used any of these? I'd love to know!
Looking for more beauty resources?
Join the Band of Beauties for full, free access to the Beauty Resource Library. You'll get goodies like 100 Beauty Tips to Make You a Pro and much more!